Foodie Friday with Dr. Laura Klein: Lemon-Dijon Edamame and Quinoa Salad
Craving something fresh? I know I was when I made this super easy and nutritious spin on cowboy caviar, Two Healthy Kitchens Corn, Edamame, and Quinoa Salad with Lemon-Dijon Vinegarette. No meat is needed because the edamame and quinoa both have a lot of protein, but if you wanted to serve it as a side salad by your favorite BBQ I’m sure it’d be just as good. It also makes a great salsa for chips or a wonderful filling for pita bread. If you’ve never cooked quinoa before, Shelley at Two Healthy Kitchens links to it in the article. It takes less time than rice on a stove. Let me know if you try the recipe out and what you thought!
Lemon Dijon Edamame and Quinoa Salad
⅔ cup water
⅓ cup quinoa
3 cups frozen corn
1 16-ounce can black beans
1½ cups frozen, shelled edamame
1 cup chopped red pepper
½ cup chopped cilantro
6 green onions, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
6 tablespoons lemon juice
¼ cup reduced-sodium soy sauce (clarification update on 5/7/15: we use Kikkoman Less Sodium Soy sauce)
2 tablespoons smooth dijon mustard
2 tablespoons olive oil
- Place water and quinoa in a small saucepan and prepare according to package directions (which will probably indicate that you will bring them to a boil and then simmer, covered, for about 10-15 minutes or until the water is absorbed). NOTE: If your quinoa is not pre-rinsed, then before you add it to the saucepan, you will need to rinse it in a sieve, swishing it with your fingers until the water runs clear.
- Meanwhile, in a colander, rinse and drain the corn, black beans and edamame, just to wash away the liquid from the beans and help the edamame and corn to begin thawing. Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Add red pepper, cilantro, green onions, garlic and prepared quinoa.
- To prepare the vinaigrette, combine lemon juice, soy sauce, mustard and olive oil in a medium bowl. Whisk well to combine and then pour over vegetable mixture.
- Chill for an hour or two before serving to allow the flavors to combine.