Foodie Friday with Dr. Laura Klein, New Year’s Edition: Easy Thai Shrimp Soup
Happy New Year!
After so many weeks of food prep and major feasting through the holidays, its going to be wonderful to get back to easy-yet-satisfying meals. Make sure to check back with me every Friday for recipes I’ve tried out and really enjoyed.
This Thai Shrimp Soup recipe by Damn Delicious is my latest favorite.
What better way to welcome the New Year and survive the chill of winter then a subtly spicy seafood dish? The garlic and cilantro also help boost your immune system against all the ailments that come with the cold weather. You can up the spice factor by adding some pepper flakes and more garlic to the soup. Other seafood also work well in this dish. Just make sure you cook them thoroughly. This curry can also be served over your favorite rice.
Easy Thai Shrimp Soup
1 cup uncooked basmati rice
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
2 tablespoon red curry paste
2 (12-ounce) cans unsweetened coconut milk
4 cups vegetable stock
Juice of 1 lime
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- In a large saucepan with 1 1/2 cups water, cook rice according to package instructions; set aside.
- Melt butter in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add shrimp, salt and pepper, to taste.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until shrimp is pink, about 2-3 minutes; set aside.
- Add garlic, onion and bell pepper to the stockpot. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in ginger until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Whisk in curry paste until well combined, about 1 minute. Gradually whisk in coconut milk and vegetable stock, and cook, whisking constantly, until incorporated, about 1-2 minutes.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until slightly thickened, about 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in rice, shrimp, lime juice and cilantro.
- Serve immediately.